Saturday, March 14, 2009

Photos from Baranof

Here are a few photos taken recently from our winter at
the Baranof Wilderness Lodge. They aren't really in any
organized order. This first photo is just of the main lodge
from the dock after another snow storm. As of today, we
are over 21 feet of snow for the winter.
Here are some of the crew cabins back behind the main
lodge. All the guides and other lodge staff get their own
cabin. Each has a wood stove and electricity.

Approaching Baranof after shoveling out the skiff. There is
a 250 foot dock for boats and a floatplane dock that gives
access to the great hiking, waterfall, and natural hotsprings.
This is the community of Baranof. There are maybe a dozen
cabins along the boardwalk. The waterfall is out of glacially
fed Baranof Lake. The building on the left is the community
bath house where the hot spring water is piped down from
the hotsprings up on the hill behind "town".

Here is part of Warm Springs Bay just in front of the lodge.

Working out with our new snowblower. Mike ordered the
snowblower in Juneau this October. Somehow the snowblower
ended up in Seattle before being barged back to Petersburg.
We then had to wait several months until a boat happened
to be coming to our area from Petersburg.

If you look closely, you can see me in my orange jacket. I'm
trying to shovel snow off the roof of the shop. I got some off
but there was so much ice, I gave up and moved sprinklers
into the area to try to melt the snowbelow so the roof can shed.

This was on the other side of the shop where I was shoveling
snow so it could shed. And it worked--before I could get out
of the way! Luckily there wasn't nearly as much snow on this
side, so I was able to work my way out fairly quickly.

Crushing cans on the deck. I admit I have a diet Pepsi
addiction. I am trying to wean myself off by drinking some
caffeine free--which tastes like crap and helps me drink less!
We keep our recycling all winter and take it back to Sitka
on the boat when we leave in the spring.

This is Sadie Creek. The lodge has a small bridge that crosses
the creek. There are guest cabins on each side of the creek and
that is also where we get our hydro power and drinking water.

This is actually the moon shining over the mountains before
sunrise one morning.


Harris Air in Sitka occasionally flies into the bay.

When they do, they usually drop off our mail and sometimes
groceries if we've had time to get an order in to the store.
Our hydro intake is up on the hill behind the lodge. When
the weather gets really cold, the intake grate sometimes ices
up and we have to snowshoe up (it always happens in the
middle of the night) to clear it with an ice axe.

No comments:

Post a Comment