Friday, December 21, 2018

Solstice Tidings!



December is roaring by and the days are getting shorter and shorter.  This photo was taken the day before the solstice.  We timed our direct sun coming through the slot in the mountains at 2 minutes and 14 seconds!  On the solstice, it was overcast, so we couldn't see the sun in the cut.


One of our December projects is finding the perfect Christmas tree.  I swear we looked multiple times at every tree in the bay, but Jen finally narrowed it down to two trees.  After several trips to each of those, we decided on a nice Sitka Spruce.

Getting the tree home.

Traffic wasn't too bad.

Feral loves her Christmas tree!

We finally started to get some snow in mid-December!  You can see a dusting on the ground.

Night Lights

Our neighbors had a problem with their waterline over at the townsite.  It involved moving big heavy pipes around in the Baranof River, so I headed over with chest waders and a big pry bar.  Since I was headed over in the skiff, I took our compost bucket out to be emptied.

Jen went with me one day to look for firewood logs on some of our outer beaches.  This is a nice red cedar!

Once the logs are close enough to the water, I put a line on them so I can tow them home with the skiff.

This Sitka Spruce kept trying to pass us on the tow home.

Home Sweet Home!

Our friend Pete stopped by with some crabs, so I made some sourdough whole-wheat honey egg bread to go with it.

I think I made enough!

Our neighbors John and Jeanne came over to help us eat crabs and play cards!

Dinner is served!

Sunrise Colors!

Our first significant snowfall was 9 inches on December 15.  This tree had been cleared from a lot over at the townsite last fall, so I dragged it home to put on the deck.

I got to use the new Honda HSS1132 snowblower for the first time.  It really cut through all that wet, sticky snow!

Heavy rain came in after the snowfall to start a big melt.  It has been a wet winter--we've had 82 inches of rain since October 1, including 29 inches in the first 20 days of December.

A Pacific Loon stretching its wings out in the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment