Monday, December 3, 2018

Firewood

Every fall when we arrive at the lodge, one of the first things I do is lay in a supply of firewood for the winter.  I take logs off the beach since they are already down and usually well seasoned.  Ideally, I like to log on our higher high tides so I don't have to move the logs as far to reach the water to tow them back to the lodge.  On the lodge end, the high tides get the logs closer to the wood shed, which means a shorter distance to stagger over the uneven ground carrying the large, heavy, awkward rounds to the area we use to split the wood before stacking.

Arriving at the lodge with a load of logs.

This large spruce log showed up inside the bay after a big storm.  Usually I have to go out to Chatham Strait to find wood, so this log being deposited right across the bay from the lodge saved me a lot of miles!

The spruce log at high tide.  Once the tide falls, I can cut the log into rounds and then carry them up to the woodshed to split.

Getting down to the tail end!

The rounds get bigger and bigger as one gets closer to the root ball!

The last couple of rounds were too big for me to carry (it's hell to get old!), so I had to split them before carrying them to the woodshed.  

This was an especially beautiful clear day to work on firewood!

Getting things down to a more manageable size.

Much Better!!!

We've got a pretty good supply of wood laid in.  There wasn't room in the shed for more wood, so the spruce is the lighter colored wood on the side of the shed.

Getting down to the last round to split!

No comments:

Post a Comment