Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Summer Sailing 2011

Since I haven't posted anything to this blog, I thought I'd better update things.  Yes, we are alive and well.  2010 was supposed to be my last year of running sailboat charters.   I've been looking for a partner or buyer for our boat and business for a few years, but it is a bad time to be selling a small business.  So, I have been running the boat on a reduced schedule and here are a few photos from last summer.
This is the anchorage in Dundas Bay, which is actually part of Glacier Bay National Park.
Here is the boat anchored in Dundas Bay--we had the whole thing to ourselves!

As we were headed out of the bay, I saw two fuzzy objects in the water that I assumed were sea otters.  As we got closer, I was surprised to see that they were brown bears swimming from one side of the bay to the other!

We called this one "Big Ears".

This one had silver tips on his ears.

Silver Tip checked us out and then continued to shore.

Here's a shot of Mt. Edgecumbe, Sitka's dormant volcano from the back side.

This is one of our favorite anchorages on the outside of Kruzof Island.

Trolling for salmon in Shelikof Bay.

 We found this brown bear sow feeding on mussels at the tideline on our way up Glacier Bay.

 She and her three cubs checked us out and then pretty much ignored us as we drifted along beside them for over an hour!

This is the John Hopkins glacier, one of the few advancing glaciers in Glacier Bay.

On our way out of Juneau, we pass by the Pt. Retreat lighthouse on the northern end of Admiralty Island.

This mink visited us while we were tied up to a float in Funter Bay.

He seemed hungry and looked everywhere for something to eat.

At first I chased him off the boat, but I finally relented and let him help himself to a snack.

Eventually, I had to hoist all our crab bait (in the white 5-gallon bucket) to keep the marten out of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment