Sunday, November 28, 2010

How does your garden grow?

Our first two winters caretaking, I tried to grow an indoor vegetable garden here at the lodge, and my garden didn't grow very well. In fact, it didn't grow at all. This probably had something to do with the fact that I didn't have any real grow lights and Jen didn't like the idea of a garden inside the house (where the plants need the warmth). So I tried the garden up in our hydro shed (the building where our electricity is generated) and I don't think anything survived very long after sprouting. The last two winters, I didn't even try to grow anything.

This fall while we were in Seattle, I went out and bought an actual grow light with 4 flouresent bulbs. I put the light, seeds, and other supplies in one of the boxes we shipped up to Sitka.

I put the "garden" in the shower of the bathroom we don't use. This opens to the main part of the lodge so does get some heat from the woodstove. A week later, we had seeds sprouted.



Three days later, we had little green things getting bigger and reaching for what they thought was the sky.


A week later, the plants were fat and happy and our second crop has sprouted.


Here we are at six weeks and we have two types of lettuce, green onions, basil, and cilantro about ready to harvest. And to think they laughed at us at the institute.......




No comments:

Post a Comment